How to choose a fire pit?
A real fireplace on firewood, expensive and difficult to install, can be successfully replaced with an electric one. If you know how to choose an electric fireplace, you can not only save your money, but also avoid many problems associated with installing a house of ordinary wood fireplace.
To build a house fireplace is required to comply with a lot of requirements, to obtain approval in the authorities, to find a competent master, and then still fidget with periodic cleaning of the chimney and all the time fear carbon monoxide poisoning. Statistics of doctors say that carbon monoxide from fireplaces and stoves is the most common cause of domestic poisoning.
Fire pits for wood deck do not produce carbon monoxide, and for one of this quality is preferable for an apartment is them. Although the electric fireplace has other advantages.
Features of electric fireplaces
Those who come to a specialist shop to choose an electric fireplace for their home or apartment understand that the room heating function of this device is secondary. For practical heating it is cheaper to choose an oil radiator or convector of the same power. The function of an electric fireplace for your home is more decorative than purely practical. Although the electric fireplace is as capable of heating your home as an oil radiator: its power allows you to heat up to 25 m² of space with a ceiling height of about 3 m. The power of an electric fireplace is usually 2 kW. However, people usually buy electric fireplaces to create a more or less accurate illusion of living fire.
Electric fireplaces are the same as ordinary fireplaces by type of installation:
- corner fireplaces;
- built into a wall;
- floor and wall mounts;
- free-standing fireplaces.
Small models are called electric stoves. They can be equipped with carrying handles and wheels for easy transportation. No framing is required. This is the most affordable type of electric fireplace.
The choice in frame design is extremely large. You can buy an electric fireplace for your home with the frame, or buy both separately. Some buyers invite a designer to get expert advice – how to choose an electric fireplace for an existing or projected interior of a country house or city apartment.
Electric fireplaces also differ in the way the air is heated. They can be infrared, in which case the air in the room does not contact the hot spiral and does not lose oxygen. Less perfect are electric fireplaces in which heating takes place at the expense of a strongly heated spiral. The disadvantage of such devices is that they “burn” oxygen in the rooms of your apartment. Loss of air humidity occurs when any fireplace is working.
Family next to the fireplace
Very much depends on the realistic simulation of the flame. Companies producing electric fireplaces compete with each other, trying to come up with the most realistic imitation of live fire. Some build a device in the electric fireplace to play the sound of crackling firewood, others add flavors to the device.
The flames in fireplaces with a built-in humidifier look most realistic. Neither at first nor at second glance you can not distinguish between the flames in this fireplace from real fire. This perfect illusion is created by special illumination of the water vapor produced. That is, this electric fireplace during the work does not dry the air of the apartment, but on the contrary, moisturizes it.
What to look for when choosing:
- Power. Some wall models are designed exclusively for room decoration. An electric fireplace that can also heat the air in the house must be at least 1.5 kW of power.
- Dimensions. In a small room, a huge fireplace will look inappropriate and disproportionate.
- Framing style. In order not to create a sense of molded hastily and inappropriate interior of the house, the style of the fireplace should correspond to the style in which the entire room is decorated.
- It is possible to adjust the heating and power consumption. Usually the electric fireplace can be switched on without heating, only for the decorative effect of imitation flame.
- A useful feature that allows you to adjust the brightness of the glow.
- Some electric fireplaces are equipped, in addition to imitation flames, also imitate the sound of burning firewood. For other models, the flame simulator can be purchased separately.
- The best look is an electric fireplace, the flame of which is represented by water vapour jets. A built-in steam generator is valuable, as you do not have to buy a humidifier separately. If finances allow, you should choose this model for your home.
- When choosing a frame, pay attention to the quality of the material. Often a special plastic is used for this detail. You need to make sure that the material is enough heat and when heated from it will not start to emit any harmful substances. Perhaps it is better to give preference to framing made of ceramics, stone or metal.